Januaryish 2008 I picked up 2 arcade machine cabinets. Vindicators and Dig Dug (both for $70ish total). I happily gave the Vindicators machine to my friend Matt and began gutting the dig dug machine as soon as it was in my garage. I remember Matt telling me to take pictures and document my work because it is really interesting to read about peoples’ builds online. But no, my obsession with getting it done in less than a week made me forget about taking any fabrication/build pictures.
Not this time though! I decided to redo my machine after moving to Illinois because my Dad has a bitchin’ wood shop. I took pictures, time lapse videos, and I used Cherry for the control panel! Cherry switches…why not have Cherry wood to go along with it??
Here is what it looked like after my 5-day gut/mod fiasco:
Not too bad right? Wrong! Most of my favorite games use the 4-way joysticks. This is a big problem if you have 8-way joysticks installed. The new version has selectable restrictor plates that can limit the joysticks to 4-way and 8-way, that is going to significantly increase my Donkey Kong score.
I’m surprised how much interest an old arcade machine sparks, my entire family and a few friends have helped out so far.
Here is a pic of my brother cutting the Cherry directly out of the shelf! We couldn’t get it out any other way.
Here is the wood all angled and ready for hole-drilling. The trackball fits perfect!
Cherry is a hardwood. I’m really glad we have a drill press.
Here is a picture of the control panel with all of the controls mounted and ready to rock!
If you are curious, I am leaving the control panel woodgrain. Why? Because according to my Dad, “It is a sin to paint Cherry”. And I am not a sinner.
Just for reference, check out the old pine control panel that will never be used again.
The sweet wiring job I did on the new panel!
The 19″ LCD that I used to make fun of every time I went to Matt’s house. Thanks again Matt!
I wont be making fun of it now.
Catfish? They speak like the french. wee wee yuaa yuaaaa
Wow I have A.D.D.
The only things I have left to do on the arcade machine are:
-Setup fluorescent bulb behind marquee and mount switch on top-behind cabinet
-Mount motherboard and computer peripherals inside the cabinet (mimicking the original ROM board location)
-Paint the cabinet
-make surrounding trim below the control panel
-make trim for monitor (not cardboard this time!)
Here’s a time-lapse video of everyone working on the machine, it looks like I didn’t do much work, but I did 80% of the build so far.
I’ll append to this post when I have another update.
I finished the machine!
Here are the updated pictures.
I also worked for 6 hours or so on a DJ stand this Saturday.